12 other stories
In a movie. On my computer. In my bed. In my apartment. Berlin. Months ago.
The movie was coming to a close to an end. The main protagonist was speaking.
- We just come from a very bad place.
- We are not bad people. We just come from a very bad place.
In a gallery. On the river. Berlin. Months ago.
After the reading we had drinks.
With N. Walking on the streets. Berlin. Some weeks ago.
Or maybe N. and I were in my kitchen. Berlin. Some weeks ago.
- I just want him to like me more than he likes anyone else.
On the telephone with my mother. In my apartment. Berlin. Yesterday.
Leaving a city. On a train. Or on a bus. I cannot remember. Sweden. Months ago.
- Can I kiss you?
I said nothing.
- You have to tell me when I can. Will you promise me that?
I said nothing.
Together with R. The day after my last hospitalization. One pill of morphine from the hospital in a small see-through ziplock plastic bag in my pocket. In my one room apartment. Outside Stockholm. Years ago.
- I mean, we were lying so close to each other the whole night. Our faces nearly touched. I did not sleep at all. If I had moved even an inch we would have kissed.
In R.s house. On the coast. Norway. Last November.
- There is this girl I really like. I mean, I do not know her that well, but I really like her. Is it OK if I send her a letter? Do you think so? Would you have liked to get a letter? Is it too much?
With B. In a backyard. Berlin. A month ago.
- I would really like to have a pet.
With A. On the street. Berlin. Some days ago.
- You know you have to remember this.
I stopped walking.
In the kitchen. In E.'s apartment. Bergen. Last fall.
I had terrible news. I also had bad news. I told the terrible news first. Then the bad news. Then I started crying.
Then E. told me a joke that was so horrible that I can not write it down. I just cannot. It was too horrible.
I was so shocked that I laughed.
I was not there. Later on I read about the conversation in a book. I was mentioned in a footnote. It said P. was supposed to call me, but misdialed and called R. instead.
P. on the telephone with R. In a park. In a Swedish city. Years ago.
In a bar. Berlin. Some weeks ago.
This was the second time I. told me this story. It was slightly different from the first time.
- He suggested that we should have a common interest.